A Facebook profile hack?
Posted by brvanlanen
And it could expose crucial personal information.
No, it won’t expose your personal photos or wall posts. But, FBHive says, it can bring up all the “basic information” that you have entered into your profile, even if you’ve elected to keep that information private. This is the section that includes location, gender, relationship status, relationships (significant other, parents, siblings), political views, religious views, birthday, and hometown. That’s enough to be a problem in the identity theft department, as it could easily expose frequent password hints like dates of birth and mothers’ maiden names.
Security holes are nothing new to social networks: last year, Facebook plugged a leak that exposed members’ protected photos via the Facebook mobile site, and another hole was discovered about a year ago that exposed members’ birth dates.
FBHive is a new blog devoted to all things Facebook and it didn’t reveal details of the hack but it does reveal something concerning.
“We are not malicious hackers, by any means, and our skills are far from advanced,” the post read. “We here at FBHive are fans of Facebook, but when a security hole as big as this is discovered and brought to (Facebook’s) attention, it shouldn’t take 15 days to fix.” (Source: New Facebook blog: We can hack into your profile – CNET Security)
It would be interesting to know why Facebook is dragging it’s feet but not surprisingly they have no comment beyond that they are looking into the matter.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Facebook slammed with another phishing attack (macworld.com)
- Facebook Targeted with Another Phishing Attack (pindebit.blogspot.com)
- Online Identity Land Grab On Across All Social Media (marketingpilgrim.com)
- Is Privacy An Illusion? Facebook ‘Fans’ Claim Hack Exposes Private Profile Information (techcrunch.com)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Delicious (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About brvanlanenJust a thirty-something guy currently hanging it up in the greater Green Bay area. My post-high school educational background is mainly in the Information Technology field. Specifically I have an A.A.S. in Computer Network Systems and a B.S. in Information Systems Security, both from ITT Technical Institute, in addition to A and MCDST certifications. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking and sports. My Christian faith is also important to me as a Missouri-Synod Lutheran and all my children attend a Lutheran grade school. When it comes to political leanings I am a conservative first and foremost which you will discover rather quickly. As for sports I am a huge fan of the Green Bay Packers.
Posted on June 22, 2009, in Facebook, Hacking, Security breach, vulnerability and tagged CNET Networks, Facebook, Identity theft, On the Web, Online Communities, Password, Social network, Social network service. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on A Facebook profile hack?.
Comments are closed.