New attacks targeting Macs …
Posted by brvanlanen
were uncovered last week.
Security experts have discovered two new attacks targeting Mac users, a new version of a worm and a Trojan hidden inside a porn site.
On Tuesday, Paretologic warned about a porn site that was downloading malware that targets both the PC and the Mac. Mac users get redirected to the pagemac.php page, which downloads a QuickTime.dmg file, the blog post says.
Sophos explained in blog post on Thursday that visitors to the malicious porn site are told they have to download an ActiveX component to view the videos. Instead, a Trojan, dubbed OSX/Jahlavc, gets downloaded.
“As we’ve demonstrated before, and as we’ll no doubt explain again, the Mac malware threat is real,” writes Sophos security researcher Graham Cluley. “Hackers are deliberately planting malicious code on Web sites, and using social engineering tricks to fool you into installing it onto your computer.” (Source: Two new Mac attacks surface – CNET Security)
A reminder that NO system is totally safe from attacks so steps must be taken to protect it.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Experts warn of porn Mac attacks – BBC News (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Apple Mac Trojan caught on film (timesonline.typepad.com)
- Conficker Computer Worm A Bust So Far (cbsnews.com)
- New computer virus on rise warn security experts (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sophos video shows Mac trojan caught in the act (tuaw.com)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Delicious (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About brvanlanenJust a thirty-something guy currently hanging it up in the greater Green Bay area. My post-high school educational background is mainly in the Information Technology field. Specifically I have an A.A.S. in Computer Network Systems and a B.S. in Information Systems Security, both from ITT Technical Institute, in addition to A and MCDST certifications. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking and sports. My Christian faith is also important to me as a Missouri-Synod Lutheran and all my children attend a Lutheran grade school. When it comes to political leanings I am a conservative first and foremost which you will discover rather quickly. As for sports I am a huge fan of the Green Bay Packers.
Posted on June 22, 2009, in attacks, Mac, Security, vulnerability and tagged ActiveX, Antivirus software, Apple, Graham Cluley, Mac OS, Mac OS X, Macintosh, malware, Operating system, Sophos. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on New attacks targeting Macs ….
Comments are closed.