Best way to spread the message online?
Posted by brvanlanen
Via Fast Company:
According to a new report by marketing firm SocialTwist, Internet sharing trends have shifted heavily shifted toward social networking, but other platforms still have a strong presence for word-of-mouth advertising. SocialTwist analyzed more than a million referral messages sent using the company’s Tell-a-Friend tool, a widget that lets users share sites through social media.
In the last year, social networking sites saw a 10% increase in usage, and a 16% bump in click-throughs. Overall though, email still accounts for 55% of referrals.
Among social networking sites, Facebook is by far the most preferred service for sharing, making up more than 78% of usage.
Yet Twitter has become the most effective tool for click-throughs. Twitter yielded a whopping average of 19.04 clicks, whereas Facebook only produced 2.87 clicks.
This is great news for Twitter, which has hinged its business on Promoted Tweets and Trends, tweet-size ads that companies purchase for $100,000 a day. With such a high click-through rate, it’s no wonder new Twitter CEO Dick Costolo boasted yesterday that the company has “cracked the code on a new form of advertising, and we feel like we’ve got a hit on our hands.”
As Todd points out people today refer via email, share via Facebook and click via Twitter. Fair assessment or no?
Powered by ScribeFire.
- Why Marketers Need To Learn About Word-of-Mouth From Social Networks (socialtimes.com)
- Facebook Vs Twitter: Which Performs Better? (allfacebook.com)
- More Content Shared on Facebook but Twitter Click-through Rate Much Higher (e1evation.com)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Delicious (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About brvanlanenJust a thirty-something guy currently hanging it up in the greater Green Bay area. My post-high school educational background is mainly in the Information Technology field. Specifically I have an A.A.S. in Computer Network Systems and a B.S. in Information Systems Security, both from ITT Technical Institute, in addition to A and MCDST certifications. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking and sports. My Christian faith is also important to me as a Missouri-Synod Lutheran and all my children attend a Lutheran grade school. When it comes to political leanings I am a conservative first and foremost which you will discover rather quickly. As for sports I am a huge fan of the Green Bay Packers.
Posted on October 21, 2010, in email, Facebook, Social Media, Social Networking, Twitter and tagged Clickthrough rate, Dick Costolo, Facebook, Promoted Tweets, Social network service, SocialTwist, Twitter. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Best way to spread the message online?.
Comments are closed.