Tips to a successful IT job interview
So you’ve applied for that IT job and you’ve made it to the interview stage. Here are some tips from Venture Loop CEO Jeremy McCarthy on how to make it a successful interview.
Regardless of how you view this prospective opportunity, always do your best in the interview for you never know where it may lead you. Some of his other suggested tips:
1) Research: With everything literally at our fingertips today, it’s close to blasphemy to enter an interview without having searched and studied as much about the history, fact and figures of the company with whom you are interviewing as possible. Savy online searching can turn up valuable information to prove to an employer they’d be hiring an expert in their industry.
2) Review your triumphs and faults: You can almost guarantee that typical questions such as your vision for five years down the road, strengths, weaknesses, tough work situations and best type of person to work for will be asked, so why not write down your answers ahead of time to review rather than spin your wheels while sitting in ‘hot seat.’
3) Behavioral question awareness: More firms rely on behavioral interviewing techniques to see how candidates answer when asked for specific examples of past professional situations. McCarthy presents some typical queries to prepare for ahead of time:
- How you handled not meeting a deadline
- How you dealt with conflict with a co-worker or boss
- What you did when someone else’s actions caused failure
- When did you show initiative
- What did you do when a customer was upset with you
- What did you do when a co-worker blamed you unfairly for something
For the rest of Mr. McCarthy’s tips check out the source.
- Strange interview questions tech companies ask revealed (zdnet.com)
- Job Search Tip: How to Eliminate Anxiety before an Interview! | Ashley Ellis (skillsinfo.wordpress.com)
Posted on December 29, 2011, in Jobs, Tech Tips, Technology and tagged Ask an Expert, Business, Employment, Information technology, Interview Advice, Job interview, Job Search. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Tips to a successful IT job interview.